JOB TITLE: Sustainable Agriculture Instructor – Vocational Veteran Program
TALMAR is a nonprofit organization that is dedicated to enhancing and improving health for all people of all ages and abilities using horticulture and agriculture as its therapeutic medium. We have been in existence since 1998, relying heavily on volunteers and key personnel. On our 10 acre organic farm (2 acres in production), we provide work skill development, vocational training and horticultural therapy. In doing so, we produce a variety of vegetables, herbs and specialty cut flowers that are grown, harvested and sold to the community at large. We are located inside a 400 acre passive park in Parkville, MD.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
TALMAR seeks a Sustainable Agriculture Instructor, with a minimum of 3 years’ experience, to lead our vocational training program. The position will be responsible for the delivery and execution of the Sustainable Agriculture training program. Current trainees are military veterans who are also managing behavioral healthcare needs during the program. The instructor position is an opportunity to create, build and refine existing curriculum and to deliver our program providing a balance of instructional and practical experience in order to reach a diverse group of learners. The instructor will also be leading the vegetable production in coordination with the farm manager.
The successful candidate must have management experience and the ability to teach and train beginning farmers to become versatile in a large variety of farming practices. Practices including permaculture design and implementation, hydroponics, raised beds, vertical farming, small commercial and urban farming, high/low tunnel production, square foot gardening, greenhouse operation and management.
Associates Degree in Sustainable Agriculture, Horticulture, or related discipline preferred. Experience can substitute for education.
- Must have minimum 3 years’ sustainable farm production experience with at least 1-2 years in a management position
- Comprehensive understanding of sustainable agriculture/horticulture, including the following: IPM, soil health and management, crop rotation, composting, greenhouse production, etc.
- Knowledge of curriculum and program development
- Ability to foster and maintain a classroom environment that is conducive to teaching and learning for Veterans
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality related to sensitive information
- Ability to multi-task and organize, prioritize, and follow multiple projects and tasks through to completion with an attention to detail
- Ability to analyze problems, identify solutions, and take appropriate action to resolve problems using independent judgment and decision-making processes
- Applicant should be experienced and capable of safely operating heavy equipment without direct supervision
- Ability to complete manual labor including sitting, standing, bending, and lifting 50+ pounds
- Ability to work outdoors in extreme weather for extended periods of time
- Willing to work a flexible work schedule, including weekends; some evening or special event hours may be required
- Flexible, energetic, with a strong work ethic
- Background check required
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary range: $35K-$40k plus benefits. Position eligible to start part-time and grow to FT. Position not eligible to work from home.
Veterans, people of color, individuals with disabilities and/or people who are LGBTQIA are encouraged to apply.
Position to begin immediately. Please email a cover letter and resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: Sustainable Ag Position.
No phone calls please.